Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New York Trip!

In early August, I was blessed to be able to attend the Teacher's College in NYC.  Several of my colleagues from Greendale went to the July Institute, but I was unable to attend that one, so I was going to be on my own in August.  In NYC.  A little nerve-wracking.  Thankfully, Brad decided to make the trip with me (He was able to work all day on his computer while I was at class.  We made sure to pick a hotel with free high speed wifi).

We got to New York around noon on Sunday, which left us plenty of time to explore.  We purchased 7-day unlimited use subway cards, then Brad thought it would be a good idea to "practice" going to the Teacher's College so I'd know what to do the next day by myself.  :)  After that, we decided to take the subway yet again, but this time, down to the 9/11 Memorial.  You have to get free passes to enter, and when we got there at two, the passes were sold out until three-thirty, so we got our passes and then got lunch and explored the area a bit.  The 9/11 Memorial was pretty amazing, but I couldn't appreciate it as much because it was super hot and humid out the whole day!


The rest of the week was spent with me at the Teacher's College learning a lot about reading and writing with literacy gurus like Lucy Calkins and Kathleen Tolan during the day, and with fancy dinners and shows at night with Brad.  We explored awesome restaurants like PioPio, a Peruvian restaurant!  We also got to try a few fancy restaurants because it was NYC Restaurant Week.  We got to try two of Tom Colicchio's restaurants: Craft Bar and Colicchio & Sons.

Colicchio & Sons

Chelsea Market

Times Square



Snoop Dog Lion


Seymour Simon (author)


Stephanie Harvey


Lucy Calkins


We also had fun seeing a Cirque du Soleil show - Zarkana.  It was my first Cirque show, and I thought it was pretty entertaining!  Although I nearly had a heart attack watching all those crazy people fly through the air - I always thought that for sure someone was going to fall!



What a fun trip!  I'm so glad Brad was able to come with me!

No comments: