Monday, December 27, 2010

De-Drooling 101: The Experiment

Well, pretty much since we've had Cooper he has gotten extremely anxious in the car.  Actually, not quite.  The first day we got him we drove hours from Iola, WI to Oostburg, then again to Brookfield, and he did not get sick at all.  I think it all started when I fed him right before going to puppy school about a month after we got him (Hey - I was a first time dog owner - I didn't know that was a bad idea!!!).  He threw up his dog food and since then, he's gotten sick in the car.  He doesn't always puke, but he ALWAYS drools.  And he never ever drools except for in the car!  It's really sick.  In my car it's not so bad, because we can put down a blanket for him.  But in Brad's car, with leather seats, the blanket slides around and his seats end up soaking wet. It's nasty.

Today was the breaking point for me. On the way home from Christmas in Green Bay he drooled more than I'd ever seen.  He didn't vomit at all, thankfully, but the drool was coming out nonstop!  I decided something had to be done.  Our vet recommended dramamine a few months ago, but that did nothing to stop the drooling and actually made him sicker (my opinion), so I stopped that.  I decided to consult the web.

It seems like it might be kinda common in puppies.  People recommend using something I actually learned about in my psych classes at MU.  Some psychologists recommend getting used to the fear slowly (i.e. if you're afraid of snakes, first look at a picture of a snake, then watch a video of a snake, then see one in a cage, etc.).  And slowly build up to facing the fear.  I think it must be psychological with Cooper.  He literally starts drooling before we even start the car, so he can't actually be car sick.  So I'm deciding to try this overcoming your fear slowly method.

I started tonight.  Cooper and I went out and just sat in the car for about five minutes (that was all I could last - it was a little chilly even in the garage).  He didn't drool really, but his mouth got a little wet.  I gave him lots of treats and praise.  I think he liked it.  Tomorrow I'm going to repeat, but for longer time periods. If it goes well, then I'll start the car and let it idle while we sit there.  It's going to take a LONG time and patience to try this method, but it has to work!!!  I can't take the drooling all over anymore!  Wish me luck!

I'll be tracking our progress (or lack thereof) on the side page "Cooper's Tales."  You can read more after this post there!

No comments: