Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Rough Night

Well, you'd never know it looking at this picture, but last night was rough.  I think Bennett's ears or teeth were hurting him, maybe both.  Friday night Brad and I were both ecstatic because Bennett slept 7-6:30am straight!  It was amazing, but we both knew it was too good to be true to repeat Saturday night.

Bennett didn't go down last night until almost 9pm, after we got home from a dinner out (he was being babysat at a friend's house by Missy).  So that was probably the first mistake.  Then, since he didn't have a fever we didn't give him any nighttime ibuprofen.  That was the second mistake.  At midnight we woke to screaming.  I picked him up right away, knowing he was probably in pain from his ears.  He didn't feel warm, but I gave him ibuprofen for the ear pain.  I rocked him a little, but he continued to scream.  He was also arching his back and straightening his legs every couple of minutes, so it seemed like he was in lots of pain.  He also refused a bottle.  For the next hour, Brad and I took turns rocking/bouncing him around the house, which I tried to restrain myself from taking Bennett to the ER (seriously - the back arching and nonstop screaming was worrying me!).  His cries slowly grew to be every 5 minutes apart or so, so we knew that he was finally starting to settle down.  Around 1am we put him back in the crib, and he fell asleep pretty quickly.  He cried a little again at 3am, but was able to settle himself back down.  At 6:30am he was up for the day!  

Brad and I both feel like we've been hit by a truck, but Bennett is his normal, happy self.  How does he do it?!


No comments: