Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Bennett: 18 Month Doctor Check-up


Brad took Ben to the doctor for his 18 month check-up.  Usually I'm the one who goes, but it was on Monday, and I had just used two days off on Thursday and Friday for a wedding, and I'm trying to save my days for when I have the baby...

The appointment went really well (besides Ben getting the flu shot, which he hated).  Ben loved the doctor, even sat on her lap and tried to type on her computer.  :)  She asked, "Is he always this easy-going?"  No...haha.  Lately we're starting to see some defiant/sassy behavior and tantrums.  But really he is a pretty happy and outgoing boy most of the time.  Bennett even got to stand on the regular scale this time instead of going on the baby scale!  He did great!

Overall Ben is developing and growing really well.  His weight was 24lbs 8oz, which is the 55th percentile.  He's always right around the 50th so that's pretty consistent.  He is 32 inches tall, which is the 35th percentile.  In height he's been back-and-forth between the 20th-50th percentile, depending how cooperative he is with the nurse. :)  His head circumference is 48cm, which is the 57th percentile.  So he's a pretty average-sized little guy.  

One other thing the doctor talked to us about was Ben's seizures.  He had three more over the summer (last one was Labor Day weekend), and so after the last one his neurologist decided to put him on an anti-seizure medication daily even though his EEGs were all normal.  We were relieved, because seizures are so scary, and so far he hasn't had any side effects that we've noticed, and no more seizure activity.  We thank God every day for this!  In early October he had an MRI done, to make sure they didn't see anything that would cause seizures, and they didn't.  His brain looked great.  So we have no clue what caused him to start having seizures at 12 months, which is frustrating, but we're thankful that nothing is wrong in his brain, and he is developing really well.  The plan is to keep him on the medication until he's two, then try to ween him off and see if he does okay.  Our pediatrician recommended a new pediatric neurologist since ours hasn't been communicating that well with us.  I hate starting over with new doctors, but we really have been having trouble getting our phone calls returned and questions answered, so hopefully this will work out better.

Our next appointment isn't until he's 2 years old, which seems so crazy!  And at that time I will have TWO kids!  Crazy! :)

1 comment:

Leah Vanberg said...

Growing boy! Isn't it crazy how the well-visits stretch out? I remember at Isaac's 2 yr appt how shocked I was that we wouldn't been seen again for a year. I felt like I was thrown into deep water with no life vest! :)

Glad the pediatrician recommended a new neurologist. Hope you're happier!