Sunday, August 8, 2010

10 Years!

So this weekend I had my big 10-year high school reunion.  I know, I just dated myself!  Trust me, it snuck up on me and yes, I feel old!  I almost didn't go quite honestly.  I really didn't want to.  When I told my sister this, she said, "Why?  You're married.  You have a house."  Which was kind of exactly my point.  I figured the reunion would go something like this:  walk up to someone you haven't even thought about in ten years, each brag about how great you're doing in life, hug goodbye, repeat.  Ugh.  Then as I looked over the email names of people they were still trying to contact for the reunion, I realized there were some I didn't know.  Who are these people?  Which made me kind of nervous...if I don't know/remember some people, isn't it likely that some people won't know/remember me?  Great!  We had a class size of 200, so I feel like that's small enough that you should at least recognize everyone's names.  Another reason I wasn't too excited...of all of my super close group of friends in high school, one I am still good friends with and see all the time, one I don't see often but just saw her at her wedding, and another few were on the list of people they didn't know how to contact.  And sadly, I didn't know how to contact them either!  I was looking forward to reuniting at the reunion.

But....my good friend who I'm still in close contact with decided to go and kind of convinced me to go too.  It wasn't really all that bad.  They had nametags (thank goodness!) so if you wanted to talk to someone, you could make sure it was who you thought!  Very helpful when I was introducing Brad to a few people and definitely remembered them but couldn't quite place the name.  It sounds so strange, but I seriously had totally forgotten about some of these people (the ones not on facebook and who I wasn't good friends with in HS), so the nametags were helpful.  Mostly Brad and I hung out with my good friend Emily and her fiance, even though we see them pretty often.  Oh well!  We definitely said hi and caught up with lots of other people, but just spent the most time chatting with them, especially after we had caught up with everyone else near the end.

I was surprised that almost everyone looks exactly the same.  A lot of people did not go, sadly.  I think about 45-50 of the 200 came.  But it was nice to see what people were up to.  So overall, it was okay.  Brad thought so too.  :)  I had made a promise to myself ahead of time that I wasn't going to act like a stalker and mention things I knew only from facebook.  Unfortunately no one else thought that was weird, so pretty much everyone was like, "Oh, is this your husband!  How's teaching going?"  And knew totally about my life from facebook.  Not sure what I think about that.  One or two people said they read the blog.  I think online social networking is going to change class reunions in the future....like, there really might not be a need!  Everyone knows what everyone else is up to at any minute!

I didn't really take many pics, but here are a few.  Someone was walking around getting lots of pictures, so maybe I'll have more to post at some point in time.

Brad, Missy & I went out for some CCQ before the reunion.  Missy was excited! :)

Yum, CCQ!


Brad and I at Los Banditos!


Emily & I at the reunion - thank goodness she had a name tag on ;)


"Catching up"

No comments: