Monday, May 27, 2013

Bennett Turns One Month!

I really can't believe Bennett is one month old already!  Wow!  If a month goes that fast, I can't imagine how fast the years with him will go...

The first month has been a lot of things, but mostly, amazing.  I love love love this boy!  Yes, I'm exhausted.  Yes, our house is a wreck (but will be cleaned professionally on Wednesday thanks to our small group!).  Yes, I have lived in t-shirts and sweatpants.  And yes, I have left the house only a handful of times in the past month (Target and Pick 'N Save seem like a big deal now!).  But still, it's awesome being a mom!

I feel like a lot has changed in Bennett's first month.  First of all, he definitely knows me and the sound of my voice.  He'll be in his swing across the room, and if I start talking, he'll turn his head in my direction.  And he stops crying as soon as I pick him up, which is so cool (but also a bit tiring).  Bennett is doing a great job holding his head up, too.  Today at his one month appointment the doctor said his head strength is what they'd expect from a two-month old!  Good job, buddy!  We work on tummy time a lot, and I think that helps.  Bennett also kicks his legs like crazy and accidentally rolled over once out of anger (hasn't happened since, though - I think we're a while away from purposefully rolling over).

Bennett is starting to smile "at us" when he's awake, which is super fun (he's been smiling in his sleep since we brought him home).  He's also starting to really look at us.  He still makes lots of funny faces.  He is also beginning to "talk" a little (coo/gurgle at us).  Bennett has also discovered his hands and LOVES to suck on them.  He has a crazy strong grip (watch your necklaces ladies!).  And he's beginning to take a nuk pretty well, too.

At four weeks old, we started giving Bennett one bottle a day to get him used to it.  So I started pumping, and Brad has been doing the 9-10ish pm bottle.  Bennett didn't have any trouble taking the bottle and we've tried two different kinds and he isn't picky.  It's fun to see Brad feed him, but it's also sad that he isn't 100% dependent on me, now.  But I think it'll be nice to be able to get a babysitter (maybe?) now that he takes a bottle.

Our doctor told us that fussiness peaks around this age, and I can definitely tell a difference.  Bennett is getting much pickier about us putting him down, and pretty much just wants to be held.  The swing, which used to be his favorite thing in the world, he now doesn't really like.  The only place I can get him to nap lately is on me or propped up on the Boppy.  I also use the Moby wrap a lot to calm him down.  Bouncing on the exercise ball helps, too, but that's tough with a ten pound weight on your chest...Thankfully, Bennett still sleeps pretty well at night.  He gets up about every three hours to eat, but then goes right back to sleep.  He's sleeping in the bassinet next to our bed.  We're thinking of transitioning to the crib once he starts to sleep a four hour stretch at the beginning of the night...which our doctor said should be by the time he's two months old.

At the doctor today, Bennett weighed in at 10lbs, 3oz (75 percentile).  He was also in the 75 percentile for length and head circumference.  The doctor also kept saying how strong he is!  And she was amazed that he doesn't have baby acne or balding yet.  Hopefully we can avoid baby acne, but I'm not sure about the balding.  This brown haired kiddo has to turn blond eventually!


We had to try this photoshoot twice.  The above photo was the second time...
He wasn't feeling it the first time (see below)

Adorable owl nap mat from Aunt Missy!


Showing off his new smile at Daddy!


Future Golden Eagle???

Bennett's FAVORITE nap spot...falls asleep everytime!


Favorite nap spot when Daddy's not home (or needs a break!)

"Hey!  I just accidentally rolled over!"

I know it's blurry, but this is him "talking" to me!

Love you Bennett James!!!

No comments: