Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Napping (or lack thereof)

Anyone have any good advice for getting a three month old to nap in his crib?  He sleeps in there at night no problem...but when it comes to a nap he either refuses to fall asleep and screams bloody murder, or if I put him in there already asleep he wakes up within ten minutes and screams bloody murder.  Either way, the crib during the day ALWAYS results in a very short nap and a very crabby baby.  

Right now he naps best on the boppy on the couch, but once he starts rolling that will no longer be possible/safe.  Also since I'm going back to work in a little over a month, he'll need to be able to nap in a crib/pack-n-play.  

So PLEASE let me know if you have any good tips I can try!  So far I've tried having the white noise machine on, giving a nuk, giving a security blanket, swaddling (which we do at night), rocking him.... nothing works!

2 comments:

Shane and Jody said...

Well Erin has never been a great napper so I hate to even comment but since u asked :). I remember at 3 months we did the eat- awake- sleep routine and she would fall asleep amazingly well. I can't remember how long awake time was but u could kinda tell when she was tired. But I also remember her naps were consistently 45 minutes - never shorter but rarely longer either. It made for a lot of cycles but she always went down great that way and I was guaranteed 45 minutes. So yea i really dont have any good advice. Is it a pacifier problem? Like it falls out and he wakes up? Well good luck! Hope u guys figure it out soon!!

Unknown said...

I found that things changed so quickly when Isaac was a newborn. What worked one week wouldn't necessarily work another week. And what worked at daycare didn't work at home. Can you try putting him back in the bassinet? Or maybe he wants to be elevated during the day when he's eating more (since the boppy seems to help)? Or letting him nap on the boppy until he rolls over (because then he can sleep on his tummy and may sleep more soundly)?

My inadvisable approach was to let Isaac sleep on his tummy. The only way he'd nap in his crib. Otherwise we used the rock'n play sleeper. That thing was like magic.