Around 8:45, the hospital doctor came and we were able to start the pitocin. Things were progressing nicely. Too nicely, because at 10:30 my OB, Dr. Irland, told them to stop the pitocin until I got my second dose of penicillin for being Strep B positive. I did not like the sound of this, but they assured me things were progressing well and I would be having the baby soon. It wasn't until 3:30 that the Pitocin was back up and running, but it took FOREVER to get contractions going this time. At 5pm my doctor came in and told them to let me walk around a bit to get things going, but unfortunately the machine did not allow me to walk more than a few feet outside of my room. So instead the nurse brought me a birthing ball and I sat on there and rocked/bounced while we watched some TV. Kyle brought dinner for Brad and Missy at this time which was really helpful. :)
The machine was showing that I was having contractions, but they were definitely not super painful. They kept turning the machine up, up, up. My contractions were 1-4 minutes apart but they wanted them a consistent 2-3 before they broke my water. Finally at 8:30 my doctor came in she said I was good to get the epidural and then she would break my water. So around 9pm, the anesthesiologist came and put in the epidural. At 10pm the doctor broke my water and I rested a bit to wait for things to pick up. At like 10:45 or so I was noticing I was getting very uncomfortable and having pain. The nurse came in and checked me and I was ready to push! She called the doctor in and baby Isla was born at 11:12pm!!
When they put Isla on me I could tell she was a little bigger than the other two had been. She was not crying enough right away so they took her to her little bed area and called the NICU team in. That was scary. They probably spent 10 minutes sucking goop out of her throat, and gave her a few seconds of oxygen too. Then thankfully she was okay and they gave her to me. Isla was 7 pounds 9 ounces and 19 inches long. She was very into nursing right away.
We got up to our recover room around 2am - the new rooms are BIG and BEAUTIFUL and we were lucky to get one of the better rooms with a GREAT view. The nurses checked me and Isla over and we finally got a little sleep before waking up around 7am the next morning. We spent Friday and Saturday relaxing and snuggling. Isla was borderline jaundice but good enough to go home Saturday night! Ben and Elle were at Grandma and Grandpa's until Sunday after naps so we had some special Isla time. They came and met her at the hospital Friday morning before heading up there. Ben LOVED her but Elle was very unsure. Then Sunday night the craziness of having three small kids began! Thank goodness Brad is off for a couple weeks to help! :)
Our amazing view!!
AND....ready to go home!!! Ah it's real! :) Amazing how it's our third time and I was still really nervous and anxious!
Ready to have the whole family of FIVE home!


1 comment:
What did u put in your big brother/big sister bags?? I need some ideas :)
Post a Comment