Friday, February 24, 2017

Isla: One Week Old!

Isla is officially a week old.  She has been super sleepy this first week, which I know is how all newborns are, but you kind of forget about that!  Brad and I have been taking turns snuggling her and entertaining the big kids.  Brad has been really good at helping with Ben and Elle so I can have plenty of quiet time to nurse and snuggle Isla.  This first week she is nursing about every 1-2 hours during the day, but very short sessions and falls asleep after only 8 minutes or so.  At night she sleeps about 3 hours before waking to nurse.  The thing that I forgot about the most is all the diapers you go through!  Newborns poop and pee so much, and almost every time we change her she pees on the new diaper before we even have it on her.  I also forgot how hard nursing can be at first too, but that is slowly improving.  

Isla had her first doctor appointment with Dr. Calkins on Monday at 5 days old and she weighed 7 pounds, 6 ounces (she left the hospital at 7 lbs 1 oz), was 20 inches long, and head circumference was 34cm.  The doctor was really impressed that she was almost back to birth weight already!  We had to have blood drawn to double check her jaundice level since it was borderline high at the hospital.  Thankfully the doctor said we are good and don't need to worry about it anymore.

A few pics of our first few days at home...


It was beautiful out for February!  Some 60 degree + days, so I put Isla in the Moby and we all got some sunshine and fresh air - it felt amazing!!


No comments: