Monday, November 23, 2009

The Great Coffee Experiment

I’ve had a dilemma lately: how to make the perfect cup of coffee.

I should probably back up. Just a few years ago I despised coffee, espresso, anything along those lines. I couldn’t image how people could drink coffee daily for pleasure! That changed when I went to New York one summer. Let me tell you, if you’re a Starbucks lover, New York is your place. As my friends and I walked around sightseeing in the city, we realized there was a Starbucks on every block – both sides of the street. Hot and exhausted, we walked in more or less to use the bathroom and experience a breeze of air conditioning. Then we noticed a picture of the frappucinos (icy, blended drinks – yum!). They looked like the perfect remedy for our heat stroke. What can I say? I went back home craving fraps like crazy! My summer love of fraps turned into winter’s peppermint mochas, and my taste grew from there. But I still disliked regular coffee (even from Starbucks).

My problem came when I realized that $3.50 per drink can really add up – especially when you’re trying to save up for a good friend’s destination wedding, fix up/decorate a house, and still have some sort of a life! So then I went to the gas station’s cappuccinos (they’re $1). But even that has become a bit daunting. Not really the $1, but stopping on the way to work, when I’m already in a hurry and up way too early…

So my good friend gave me her extra coffee maker. I was ready to give this coffee thing a try. I figured I’d buy really good coffee (you can even buy flavored coffee!) and some delicious creamer (they have peppermint mocha flavor!!!). So I did. I bought a semi-expensive brand of caramel-vanilla flavored coffee and some creamer of the same flavor. I was geared up and ready to try it one morning. I got up, got the pot going, and went about my morning business. On my way out the door I grabbed a mug…so proud of myself!

Well….it was disgusting! I guess I made a few rookie mistakes. One – supposedly sometimes when you buy flavored coffee beans the quality is not as great because they can cover up the fact that the beans aren’t as good with the flavoring. Boo. Two – I followed the measurements on the coffee bag, when supposedly, those measurements make REALLY strong and bitter coffee. So Monday morning I forced it down just to have some warmth in my system and so I could face a full day with 26 fourth graders.

Defeated, on Tuesday I got my peppermint mocha at Starbucks.

Then breakthrough – you CAN have great coffee from a pot! I went to a Bible study with my same coffee friend and they had coffee with their discussion. It was great!!! It was Alterra brand, just regular, with some flavored creamer (just like the stuff I have). One of the ladies at the discussion gave me her measurements (which were to use WAY less coffee than I had in my first pot).

So that night I went home and did some experimenting. I tested different amounts of coffee/water ratio, then different types and amounts of creamer. I ended up junking the flavored coffee beans I bought and got a kind recommended to me (Eight O’Clock brand). Well, I’m still not there with the perfect cup, but it’s close! And drinkable! Today I think I should have put in a little more coffee and a little less creamer…I’m getting there! And Brad said it wasn’t too bad!

No comments: