We heard all day Monday and Tuesday about this massive snow storm that was coming on Wednesday. EVERYONE was expecting a snow day on Wednesday (me included). So even though all day Tuesday I kept telling my kids they should do their homework because we'd probably have school (like a teacher is supposed to do), inside I was saying "Nope- we're having a snow day!!!" So Tuesday night we stayed up a little late. I didn't really work on any school stuff because I thought FOR SURE I would be able to work on it all day Wednesday.
Well....at 6:15 I woke up and wondered why in the world I hadn't received the school messenger call about the snow day. So then Brad looks at his clock and realizes our power is out! So I'm thinking maybe I didn't get the call on my cell because the power is out (now I realize that makes no sense, but I had just woken up and it was 6 in the morning). So I decided to text Carrie, my co-worker to find out for sure what was going on. Sure enough, she texts back "We have school!" BUMMER!
So I'm laying in bed as the fact that we don't have power registers. I'll have to do my make-up at school. I'll just throw my hair back in a ponytail. I'll use the flashlight to make sure I choose clothes that match (unfortunately by dim flashlight brown and black look similar so my tank top under my black shirt ended up brown. Oh well...). Then I realize - oh no! I can't make coffee!
Then the real terror hits - will our garage door open!?!?!? And the answer - N-O! So I frantically call Carrie and she suggests calling Brad's dad, who unfortunately is already at work. So Brad (by dim flashlight) tries to see if there's a way to open the garage door without electricity, which he finds out...there isn't. So that means no car and no snow blower! AH!!! For Brad this isn't too big of deal - he can work from home and go in a little later. For me this is a huge problem - someone has to be in my classroom when the kids come at 8:30am!
So I again consult with Carrie, who gives me the phone number of a co-worker who lives a little further west of us. But a little further west the snow was worse and her street wasn't even plowed so this co-worker couldn't get to work either! I finally end up getting ahold of another co-worker who lives in my area who agrees to pick me up. So Brad grabbed a shovel and shoveled me a little path to get to the street (and to her car). My co-worker was on her way out the door when I called her so that meant I had literally 15 minutes to get ready - IN THE DARK!!! Man it was a crazy, hectic start to my day!!!!
In the end, everything worked out. I made it to school on time and realized my outfit kind of matched. I put my make-up on and looked okay. Brad called to say he had figured out the secret pulley to open the garage door, but the snow blower wasn't working so he had to shovel tire paths for his car to get out. Our nice neighbor later plowed our driveway for us! And happily, the snow blower is now working. Brad picked me up after work so I didn't have to walk home (my co-worker who drove me wasn't going straight home after work). When we got home around 5 the electricity had kicked in so we had heat. Plus I think we learned a few things - keep around some extra flashlights and batteries, pick out your matching outfit the night before, remember to open the gas line on the snowblower, and we learned how to open our garage without power.
:) Did I make you laugh? Chuckle a little maybe????
Brad shoveling my path to freedom:

1 comment:
You definately made me laugh! Love, Mom
Post a Comment