I had off of work this week Monday and Tuesday, so Brad decided to join me part of the day and Tuesday and we:
1. PRIMED the family room
2. PAINTED THE CEILING in the family room (2 coats - thanks Brian!)
3. PAINTED THE WALLS in the family room!!!!!
(Yeah, it was a long day, and not exactly my ideal day off from work, but we're so happy to have it done!)
I'm soooooo excited! We're getting so close to being able to actually use the room. And the best news: painting means no more sanding - so no more dust! YEAH!
We decided to paint the room yellow because it's in the back of our house. It has a large patio door we just put in and so it gets lots of sun and we kind of think of it as a cozy, sunny room. We also already picked out some canvas artwork to go with yellow, so oops, I guess we really put the cart before the horse there (I'm working on idioms with my class, can ya tell?). Let's just say yellow is a VERY tricky color to work with. I brought home tons of paper samples to hold up, all of them looked perfect in the store, but once held up to our wall were WAY TOO yellow! Luckily Home Depot sells sample size paints. We went through five of those things before we decided one was sort of what we were thinking. Once we were painting it on, we realized it might also be a bit bright, but we had already bought 2 gallons, so it was going up. And I think it's growing on me.
Here are some pics of the work and paint: (We paid Brian in food to come and do the ceiling/wall trim, he's a genius with it!)
Coat of primer:

Painting the ceiling:

Painting the walls:

The result! (The yellow looks a little different depending on the angle/lighting, but I think it'll really pop once we have all the white trimwork up!)

2 comments:
nice work! wow! Can't wait to come see it!
My friend and I painted her bedroom back in high school. The bottom part of the wall was a darker yellow, and the top of the wall (as well as the ceiling) was a lighter yellow. We learned a big lesson about yellow at that age! It IS hard to find just what you're looking for with that color. I was so tempted to paint our bedroom that color, but have chickened out so far. But I must say, your room looks great!
Post a Comment