Sunday, April 3, 2016

Big Boy!

We found ourselves with nothing going on this past Thursday and Friday, and Aunt Missy was home on spring break, and it was raining, which meant we couldn't really do much of anything....so we decided to try a hand at officially potty training Bennett.

He has big boy underwear and sometimes likes to wear them, but usually it results in an accident and then him wanting a diaper back on.  He does pee on the toilet usually once per day when we change his diaper and he thinks of it (normally in the morning).  But I haven't been gung-ho about it, so now I decided to give it a real try.  He's almost three and pretty smart so I know he's definitely ready.  He also wakes up dry in the morning which is another sign of readiness.  I would be embarrassed to bring him to his three year check up not potty-trained, so hopefully this goes well!

When I woke up in the morning on Thursday, I quick showered and grabbed a Venti Starbucks latte while Brad and the kids transformed Ben's crib into a toddler bed.  We know it's important that he can get out of bed to go to the bathroom if he's really going to be fully potty trained.  I quickly hid the diapers and had him look in the drawer and closet to see they were all gone.  "Guess we need to wear underwear now!"  He was excited about the underwear and REALLY excited about the big boy bed.




The day was a little rough.  Not because of potty training but because we were stuck home and inside.  Eleanor is at a clingy stage so she just wanted to be carried around a lot of the time.  I was antsy to go somewhere or have friends over but I held out, knowing it's important to be home so we can really work on using the toilet.  Over the course of 5.5 hours before naps, Bennett pooped on the toilet twice (!!) and peed on it three times.  He had one accident as well.  Until bedtime he only went on the potty - no accidents! :)  I did remind him a lot, but he sometimes initiated it too.  We were able to get outside and play for about a half hour in the afternoon, and once Brad got home I went to Colectivo for an hour and got a little break which was sooooo nice!


Bedtime/the night was another story.  He didn't have ANY accidents (yay!) but he was up A LOT.  He got up and used the bathroom at 1:30, but then was up at 2:30, 4:30, and up for the day at 6.  Oy.

The next night we got smart and hooked up a light in his room to a timer.  We practiced only getting out of bed to go potty or if the light was on, indicating that it was morning time.  And it worked like a charm!  He was so proud to come tell us his light turned on in the morning.

So now we have been diaper free for four full days and Bennett didn't have any accidents today at all.  He only had a pee accident day one, and poop accidents the second and third days, but today he seemed to get it more.  He also does great with no accidents at night!  Woohoo! :)


No comments: