Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Eleanor is One Month Old!

This month has just flown by!  I'll have to do a post later about being home with two kids, but it's so busy and crazy that there's not a lot of down time.


At one month old, Eleanor is just starting to have some awake time and show us a little personality. :)  She has found her voice, and knows that crying loudly is the only way to get my attention if Bennett is whining or needs me.  Like Bennett, she seems to be hitting a fussy stage (although Brad assures me Bennett was fussier...hard to remember that in the moment!).  Our doctor reminded us at Eleanor's two week appointment that fussiness peaks at one month of age.  I think it's because she's learning how to be awake and just doesn't really know what to do with herself yet!    But I do also think she maybe has a little reflux - we'll be talking to the doctor about it on Monday at her 1 month appointment.  Also she is getting a little baby acne, which Ben never got.  She isn't balding at all yet...


I would say that this week Eleanor started recognizing me and my voice.  She smiles and coos when I talk to her or come by her.  She settles down when I pick her up if she's fussing.  Mostly she's fussy if she's hungry, has a wet/dirty diaper, or lately if she just wants to be held (which seems like a LOT of the time).  We've found her most fussy time to be around 12:30pm, when I'm trying to get Ben down for his nap, and from 8-10pm, which used to be our relax time!  Not any more!  Unfortunately we kind of dropped the ball on using a nuk, and now that she's fussy we're working on getting her to take one.  Not much luck so far, but I refuse to give up!  When she's fussy really the only thing that calms her is extreme rocking/shushing or laying flat with no pants on. :)


With Bennett we started using bottles at 4 weeks, but with Eleanor we haven't started yet.  We keep talking about it, but pumping just stinks and other than wanting to be able to get babysitters there really isn't a huge need for her to take one soon, since I'll be home until she's 8 months old.  But I think to make it easier for her we will start soon.  Probably at the 8pm feeding, then I'll pump while Brad gives her a bottle.


Sleeping is going really well at night I'd say.  At least compared to Bennett.  Her first stretch of sleep is usually from 10/11 until 2/3am.  Then she eats and goes back down fairly well, and gets up to eat again around 5/6am.  After that she eats through the day about every two hours.  She is a SLOW eater and kind of grazes with an on/off, look/smile at mom, then eat some more approach.  I try to be patient, because if I accidentally think she's done when she pulls off then she'll just want to eat again 30-60 minutes later.  During the day Eleanor was napping a ton, but this week she has decided she only really wants to nap in mom's arms or otherwise she takes cat naps in the swing or boppy lounger (like 15-30 min).  I'm thankful I get good sleep at night or otherwise I'd be exhausted!  Also most days I can get at least some overlapping sleep from Ben and Eleanor...he sleeps 12:30-2:30 usually and she sleeps at least part of that.

What I love most about Eleanor right now is her little smile and coos when I talk to her!  It's so sweet!

One month comparison: 





1 comment:

Missy said...

She is SOOO CUTE!!! I love her!