Just when I had pretty much given up on going into labor naturally, my baby girl decided to come on her own one day before I was scheduled to be induced. I really didn't think it would happen - I wasn't having any contractions or anything, so I knew I wasn't really progressing towards labor. But Saturday night around 11:30pm, just a few hours after our Christmas celebration with my family, baby decided it was time.
Brad and I went to bed around 10pm, and I woke up with horrible cramps at 11:30. I tried switching sleeping positions but nothing helped. I got up and went into the bathroom. After a little bit I felt better. I got back into bed and sat for a minute or two until again I felt more cramping. I turned on the lamp and woke Brad, "I think I'm having contractions." He rolled over and went back to sleep. :)
I got up and walked around a bit, and started to think for sure this was contractions starting. I was really surprised with how painful they were right off the bat - I had been expecting a slow start and eventual intensification. I woke Brad up and said to quick download a contraction timer app on his phone, then I took a shower, which didn't help. After that, we spent 40 minute tracking contractions, which were 3-4min apart and lasting about 45 seconds. I called the on-call doctor who said to head in. We called Missy and Kyle to come over. Missy was coming with us to the hospital and Kyle was staying overnight with Ben, who was thankfully already in bed.
We got to the hospital around 12:15, where we found all the normal entrances closed. But we found the back entrance to the main hospital in the parking ramp was open so we went there. We told the security guard I was in labor and he called the labor floor to come and get us. Meanwhile, painful contractions caused me to throw up twice making the security guard very uncomfortable and nervous as he called for backup "stat" and said he would "explain everything later." Haha.
Once we got to the labor floor we were sent immediately to a labor room to be checked in. I told the nurse right away that I wanted the epidural as soon as possible - my contractions were strong and painful and I didn't want to try to power through more than I had to.
Picture taken in the labor room in between contractions.
Because I was Strep-B positive, I had to get two rounds of antibiotics four hours apart. I also needed a bag of fluids before they'd give me the epidural. I think I officially got to the room at 12:30, and got checked at 1am (5.5cm) and the epidural was in and working by 2:10am (7-8cm). 2.5 hours of contractions was enough for me! After the epidural took effect, the nurse told me to try and get some sleep. She really wanted to be able to give me the second dose of antibiotics, and that wouldn't be until 5:45am.
Missy and Brad both slept a bit, but I really just rested my eyes. Around 4:30am I started feeling a lot of pain on my right side, not just pressure. I powered through it until about 5:30am. Then I asked the nurse if we could do anything. She said, "I'm not surprised you're feeling this - you're having pretty constant contractions one after the other." She hooked up the second dose of antibiotics, then said she was going to check me again since it had been awhile. She checked and said she thought I was fully dilated, but she was going to have the resident check. Sure enough - 10cm (6am). The resident broke my water because the bag was actually almost out. My on-call doctor had gone home, so they had to call him back.
Meanwhile, they SOS'ed for the nearest OB to sit in until my doctor got there. They said if I had to push to go ahead, but they weren't going to have my try to push until my doctor was there. The only OB available happened to be my old doctor who delivered Ben! What luck! My insurance stopped covering her which is the only reason I switched OBs for this pregnancy. She assured me that she would not be delivering this baby, but was happy to see me and was just sitting in until my doctor got there. But actually, she did end up delivering the baby. I was feeling a lot of pressure but trying not to purposely push, but suddenly everyone started going into action because baby's head was out! Sweet Eleanor Beth was born at 6:20am, weighing in at a small 6 pounds 13 ounces. They had to take her from me after a few minutes on my chest to "wake her up a bit" since she was pretty quiet. She had been born with the water sack over her face, so they wanted to make sure she was okay. It was pretty tough to wait 15 minutes or so to hold her again, but I was happy when they declared her just fine.
Beth was my mom's name, and Eleanor is just a name that both Brad and I liked. We haven't decided on her official nickname yet, and so far we call her a lot of things (Eleanor, Elle, Nor, Nora), so we'll see what sticks! :)
Around 8:30am, they moved us upstairs to a recovery room, where we'd spend the next 2 days. Grandma, Grandpa, and Nate came up around 8:45am.
Sweet cookie favors for visitors that Missy made. I had made something like this when Ben was born but hadn't had time to do it this time. She surprised me with these at the hospital! So sweet!
Little bit of a lake view from our room
Big brother Ben arrived around 9:15 to meet his little sister. He was very interested at first. He said "sister" right away (we'd been prepping him). But eventually he started poking her in the eye and getting antsy in the room so Grandma and Grandpa took him home to their house, where he stayed for the few days we were in the hospital and coming home. He was spoiled, and we got to spend time getting to know Eleanor!
All set to go home on Tuesday. Eleanor was down to 6lb, 7oz (normal birth weight drop).
We got home and Missy and Kyle were there. They had picked up the house a bit, plus put out signs and balloons on the garage/mailbox. They also had champagne, flowers, balloons, and a gift for me! Sooooo sweet! :)
Baby Eleanor in her room for the first time. I think she loved it, since she just kept snoozing! :)
We are so thankful for our new little love. We are especially grateful for Brad's parents, who took Ben so we could spend some quality time the first few days getting to know our baby girl. Eleanor has been a breeze so far - sleep and eat is pretty much the name of her game! :) The first few days I had to be super conscious of feeding her every 2-3 hours, because she was just below the range on the jaundice test. But lately she has been way more alert and waking up to eat on her own, so I think we're in the clear! At her first doctor appointment on Wednesday they said she looked great! She was already up to 6lb 10oz, so I'm pretty sure she's passed her birth weight by now. She's a good eater!

2 comments:
Wow! It was fast! Loved reading this!
Loved reading your account of the story (on top of the all-night texts Missy sent--thanks, Miss!)! So happy she's here! Welcome to the world, sweet Eleanor!
Post a Comment