And right now? I'm sitting at the dining room table and he's in the kitchen inside the baby gate. He fussed for a minute or two but now he's laying there sleeping!!! That's a really big step because before he would cry and cry and cry even if I was two feet away. I'm trying to hang out in there with him and play more often, so he doesn't think of the kitchen as a bad place or punishment.
Potty training unfortunately has regressed a little bit. I'm not being as watchful or thoughtful about it, so I sometimes forget to take him out every hour or so. I've been catching him just starting to go in the house, so I clap to startle him (stop the accident) and rush him outside to finish, where I give him a treat and lots of love for "going potty" outside. Someone suggested having a bell he can ring when he needs to go, which we really want to do, it's just hard to find bells outside of the Christmas season. I'm going to have to visit a craft store soon. Also this rain kind of stinks for potty training - I can't find my umbrella and Cooper just pretty much wants to play in the rain so it takes forever to get him to "go potty."
Also sleeping through the night didn't go well last night. I'm not sure if it was the thunder or the fact that he slept a lot in the late afternoon, but it was not fun having a wide awake crying puppy at 4am. We took him out to the bathroom and were hoping he'd settle back down, but nope! He pretty much cried on and off until 6am when we got up for the day. Can you believe it's my week off and I've been getting up at 6am?!?! Amazingly, Brad can sleep through the crying!
We're also signing Cooper up for puppy school! We're hoping to start in two weeks, after he's had a week to get used to being home alone most of the day (Brad's going home at lunch to let him out/feed him for awhile). I'm excited to see him interact and play with other dogs. That's the main reason we want to sign him up.
In other news, a GREAT trick to get pups to stop biting your hand is to put a little butter on your hand - then he'll learn to lick people instead of biting (a somewhat better alternative). We tried it today and Cooper is doing SO WELL with it!
Oh! And yesterday he had his first vet check-up. He is a healthy boy who happens to have a slight underbite, but they said it's pretty common and usually fixes itself with his adult teeth. However, they do have a doggy dentist if needed (REALLY!?!?! Crazy!). He HATED getting shots! Poor boy!
Here is a picture of him at the vet for the first time!
(He looks so tiny on this table)
And how he looked all evening after the vet: Sleeping on his spongebob blanket:
So far, having a puppy is cute and fun, but I'm learning I'm nowhere NEAR ready for a real baby! I can hardly handle this guy!!! (Sorry mom and Nate!)
No comments:
Post a Comment