Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer Reading List 2013

A co-worker and I start off with a summer reading list every summer.  She now teaches fifth grade (I'm fourth).  During the year, we don't have a lot of free time for "fun" reading, so over the summer we try to catch up on some of the things our kids have been reading.  It helps us to be better reading teachers, because we can talk to kids about their books with true enthusiasm, and it also helps us make book recommendations to kids.  Plus....they're usually just light, easy, lay-in-the-sun-and-read type books.   Last summer I think I got through nearly 15 books, but with a baby keeping me busy this year, we'll see how many I actually complete.  My plan is to run outside to get some sun and read during naps!  If I'm not napping........

So here's my summer reading list for this year...broken into books for school, and books not for school!

Summer Reading - NOT for school!
1.  The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern) - I'm reading this for my book club.  It's a fantasy book about a circus open only at night with two competing magicians, turned love story.  I'm about halfway through and I love it so far!

2.    Every Day (David Levithan) - It's about a guy who wakes up everyday in a different person's body.   But no matter who he is...he is in love with this same girl.

3.  The Distant Hours (Kate Morton) - LOVE Kate Morton.  This one is a sort-of historical fiction type book.  A girl goes to this castle and starts to learn about the secrets of her mom's past.  LOVE historical fiction.

Summer Reading - For school!
1. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (Boyne) - Historical fiction - the Holocaust - also now a movie
2.  Among the Hidden - A new fantasy series...I love fantasy series!
3.  The One and Only Ivan (Applegate) - Newbery winner this year... Enough said!
4.  Wonder (Palacio) - boy with a facial deformity goes to mainstream school for 5th grade....sounds like a tear-jerker
5.  Splendor and Glooms (Schlitz) - Newbery runner up this year...about puppets...creepy
6.  Breadcrumbs (Ursu) - Modern fairytale/fantasy book - new this year so I've been wanting to try it
7.  The Lightning Thief - My students are OBSESSED with this series...I have to read at least one!
8.  39 Clues #1 (Ditto)






No comments: